Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

10 Things I've Learned About Being Married

Today I realized that Braxton and I have already been married for four months! That might not seem like very long, but to me it feels like just yesterday we were standing at the altar saying "I Do." These past four months have been the best months of my life and I can honestly say right now I am the happiest that I have ever been. As great as married life is, there are definitely some adjustments that need to be made. Here's 10 things I've learned about being married:

1. I don't know how long it takes to get used to a new last name, but I'm still getting used to the fact that I'm Alexis Foust now. When people ask me what my last name is I say Johnson out of habit about half the time… It's definitely an adjustment. 

2. The whole bed & blanket sharing thing is harder to get used to then I thought. I'm so used to sleeping in a bed by myself, it's hard when you suddenly only get half the bed, and half the blankets (although Braxton should be the one complaining about the blankets because I'm known to be a bit of a blanket hog.) And the fact that Braxton snores doesn't help either. After four months I think we're starting to figure it out though. 

3. Nothing's better than being able to come home to your husband after a stressful and exhausting day at work. Sometimes I just don't have the energy to be in a good mood when I get home from a long day, and I am so thankful for Braxton's loving and understanding self. A few weeks ago I was having just the absolute worst day. Literally. Everything I could possibly think of going wrong did. After work I stopped at the store to grab a couple gallons of milk and when I got to our front door I was struggling to unlock the door, while balancing two gallons of milk and my things from work. Finally I was able to get the door open, but in the process one of the gallons of milk slipped from my grip and smashed onto the floor spilling all over me, the ground, and our front entrance. As Braxton came rushing to the rescue I just burst into tears. I had had enough. He was so sweet and understanding about the whole thing and just gave me the biggest hug and kept telling me he loved me. Once I had calmed down he instructed me to go take a hot shower while he cleaned everything up. When I got out of the shower he had taken care of the entire mess as well as started making dinner so I wouldn't have to worry about it. And these are the moments when I realize I am the luckiest girl in the world. Seriously. I am so thankful for him.

4. Socializing is a lot more fun when you're single. Once you're married, the thrill of meeting new people and finding new friends isn't quite as strong. Part of it might be that once you're with the person you know you're going to spend the rest of your life with, the search is over and the prospect of finding that special someone isn't there anymore because he's right beside you. And to be honest, he's the only one you want to spend your time with. Confession: I'd be perfectly happy spending a weekend in bed doing nothing but cuddling, eating ramen noodles, and watching Netflix with Braxton. Sue me. 

5. Although meeting new people might not be as exciting, dating once you're married is a million times better! Without all those silly dating games, the "should I text him back yet", and the "does he like me or doesn't he?" questions dating is so much easier! I love that I just get to relax and be myself and enjoy a fun night out with my best friend. "Don't ever stop dating your wife, and don't ever stop flirting with your husband."

6. Guys are gross. That's just a known fact. I mean, I grew up with three brothers so you guys are probably thinking 'you already knew that Lexie.' And yes. To an extent I already did. But being MARRIED to a man… spending all day every day with him.. there are some things I just have to turn my head at. I'll give him credit though, he's learning! He now drinks his milk out a glass and puts the toilet seat down. Progress!

7. I've realized I love to cook! I like making food and he likes eating it, it works out. Being the feminist that I am, I had a hard time with the idea of that stereotypical "role" of a housewife who makes dinner and does all the housework every day. I almost felt like as a wife I was expected to make dinner. And that made the idea of cooking a little less appealing to me. But once I realized I actually wanted to cook a yummy dinner every night for my husband, it didn't matter. Here's my thoughts on that: if you want to cook dinner every night, clean the house, and be a stay at home mom that is awesome! If you want to go get a degree in medicine and become a successful doctor or something that is just as cool. Don't let anyone tell you what you should do. Anyways. Back on topic. I love cooking. A lot. I get so excited planning out the meals for the week and looking up new recipes. I'm constantly trying new things and absolutely loving it! (Our stomach's are pretty happy about it too, unfortunately we've both gained back all the weight we lost before the wedding. Time to start going to the gym? I think so!)

8. Sharing holidays with two families is hard. I mean there's not much explaining needed there. Braxton's family is absolutely amazing and I love spending so much time with them! But I miss my family a lot with them being on the other side of the country and everything. And it's difficult deciding which family to spend each holiday with. 

9. That being said, In-Law's are the best! I've heard so many In-Law horror stories so I guess I just got lucky, but Braxton's family is seriously the greatest. We spend so many weekends down there hanging out with his family and I absolutely love them! I feel like they're my second family and have gotten so close with them over the past year. I'm so thankful for them and the love and support they give to us every day. 

10. Marriage is all about compromise. As fun as it is to spend every singe day with the love of your life, odds are there will be things the two of you won't agree on. You will have disagreements, but the most important thing is that you learn to talk through things with your spouse. Compromising is necessary. When Braxton and I disagree on something we like rate how important it is to us on a scale of 1 to 10. If what we were disagreeing about was an 8 or a 9 for Braxton and only a 3 for me, I would willing to let it go because it was obviously more important to him. It's all about putting it in perspective. And of course, the fact that you love them makes it a little easier to make those compromises as well. Believe me, we are no where near perfect as far as our marriage goes, but we are working at our relationship every day. And I think that's what matters most. 

There are so many other things I've learned from being married but those are a few! Braxton makes me the absolute happiest, and I'm so excited to spend forever with him. We have so many adventures to come! 


It's a good life
xo Lexie


1 comment :

  1. Lexie!

    You are doing such an awesome job on your blog. I really love this post. I enjoyed all of the little stories, and your advice is so insightful. You & your hubby look so happy together! And it looks like you guys are living in Utah? My family and I stayed in Park City this past summer, and I absolutely loved it! Anyways, keep up the great work with your blog. Best wishes with everything.

    xo, Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Letters from Lexie

Distributed By Blogger Templates | Designed By Darmowe dodatki na blogi